Friday, March 23, 2007

Wow, that was exhausting...This whole quitting thing has me just worn out. I haven't even surfed the internet for a whole week. But I've been pretty busy with some photography stuff too, so maybe that has contributed as well.

Some have asked where I'm going to work and there was speculation about me pursuing photography full-time. Alas, the new job will be an improvement, but not that different from what I do today.

I'll be working for the company that I went to work for 11 years ago. The company that heartlessly spun its chemicals business off into a joint venture 7 years ago and left us all to fend for ourselves. So essentially, I'm going back home. And that is a good thing.

But the last week has been rough. I'm really going to miss some of my co-workers. There are other who I won't miss a bit. And those folks have done their best to reinforce my decision to quit.

I read this article in the paper that said if you work for a jerk, it's pretty much hopeless to try to change your work environment since you're not in a position of power organizationally. Unlike most of the other career self-help articles I've read, this one put it bluntly. Your best option is just to quit. If that isn't possible, it said that passion for your work is really overvalued and you shouldn't underestimate the value of checking out emotionally. I did try that second option for a while, but it just wasn't working out for me. But I think the quitting thing will do the trick. They just need to stop making me angry since I only have a week left and they're really tempting me to leave a pile of trouble in my wake.

Anyways, one week to go. Yay!

No comments: