Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Fish Follies: Last night, Sean informed me that Sammy (Hayden's fish) had blown his last bubbles and was floating lifelessly on the bottom of his tank. So I get the honor of telling Hayden his fish is dead. I go into his room and start talking to him about how sometimes our pets get sick and die. And I tell him that poor little Sammy got sick and died. And he says "Sammy's not dead, he's right here" and I look over and that fish isn't dead. A tap on the side of the tank produces some frantic swimming. So now what do you say? So I tell him that Sammy is very sick and will probably die soon. Then he's all sad. I tell him that maybe we can get a new fish this weekend and he's all-consumed with planning his new fish acquisition. Now I'm feeling like he should mourn Sammy a bit longer. So what's a Mom to do? I don't want the little man to be all sad and weepy for the fish (who's only been with us since Christmas), but I also think he should have a little more recognition that we can't just replace our friends when they die and while there may be new fish, there won't ever be another Sammy. Then again, we're probably getting ahead of ourselves since when we last checked, Sammy was still hanging in there...

No comments: