Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Perfect(ly Bad) Timing...

After Juliette, Trevor, and I picked Hayden up from preschool today, I said we could stop to pick up lunch. At this point, there were clouds in the sky, and it was very slightly misting. We get to the Chik-Fil-A parking lot and it's now actually raining. So I drive around a few times trying to wait for a spot to open up right by the door. No luck.

I ask the kids "Do you just want to go through the drive-thru and eat at home?". Screams of "NOOOO!" are heard from the back seat. "WE WANT TO PLAY!". Honestly, I want them to play too. Because it's raining, so we're definitely not going to the park, and I'd like them to burn some energy instead of coming home and bouncing off the walls.

While I'm driving in circles, the rain is getting worse. So I tell the kids, "If we go inside, we're going to have to go through the rain and we're going to get wet" They confirm that they're good with this plan. Juliette doesn't get a vote. So I get out to get out the stroller. Now it has started a torrential downpour, coupled with gale-force winds. I get out the stroller and am already soaked, despite the umbrella. I open the door on Juliette's side of the van and she is immediately soaked from the blowing rain. The wind blows the umbrella inside out. Now I notice hail also. Nice little ice beads pelting my precious baby girl.

This is when I give up. I get further soaked trying to put the stroller back in the car. The boys are silent when I tell them we're going through the drive thru. I think it's clear to them that getting out of the car isn't open for further discussion. The rain is blowing so hard that I get soaked again just ordering the food, even with the awning over the order box.

Five minutes later, when we're driving home...nothing but a mist. Yep. That's me and my perfect timing.

No comments: