Monday, August 03, 2009

Plugged...

So the doctors decided today to disconnect and plug my NG tube, despite the continued high bile output. If I throw up, then they conclude that I'm not ready to have the NG tube removed. If I don't vomit, apparently I'm ready for the tube to be extracted. Sounds highly scientific, doesn't it? But since they removed my nutrition line a week ago, they have to either pull my NG tube and start me on food, or reconnect the nutrition to my port. They really don't want to do that because they still suspect it to be infected.

So today has mostly been Vomit Watch 2009. Only slightly more exciting than the hurricane tracking on the Houston news channels.

Today has been my first day without Sean. He left me in the able care of my brother Art and my friend Kate. They did a stellar job. The kids were very surprised when Sean walked into the house at around 9 am this morning. I told them to expect a very special surprise that I was sending. Trevor had 2 comments when I asked him how he liked his surprise. "It was already all put together". My little Bob the Builder apparently prefers his toys with some assembly required. Then he said "Surprises are supposed to come wrapped in present paper". So if someone out there knows the best way to gift wrap a Daddy, let me know.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Praying that vomit watch dissipates and does not form. Glad that you have such good company there while Sean is with the kids. Big hugs sent your way as you enter another phase of your recovery. Mahoneys

Carrie said...

Well, I never survive vomit watches very well, with my super sensitive gag reflex. I'm confident that you will be successful though. Hugs and kisses to you - wish I could be there. XXXOOO Carrie

Anonymous said...

So... are they feeding you? Like solid food?Or does the bile have to work first before they do? My prayers are always going out to you.

Anonymous said...

Hope your Vomit Doppler 6000 shows clear skies and that you had a good night's rest. Love you all, Margaret

Anonymous said...

Hurricanes you can see coming. This is more like volcano-watch. Pretty boring to watch until eruption. Here's to hoping that you're dormant! Mike