Sunday, August 23, 2009

Something...

People keep telling me I need to post something. I was completely offline for two weeks and even now that I'm back on the iPod I don't feel like I have much to say. Most days are the same: wake up, lie in bed, maybe muster the energy for a shower, fall back in bed exhausted, lay in bed for the rest of the day. Sounds exciting, I know.

I've ventured out of the house 4 or 5 times since I've been home. Once to take Malik (one of our dogs) to the veterinary opthamologist, only to learn that he needs surgery to have his eye removed. Sounds awful, but he's been blind in the eye for a few years and his detached lens has shifted, causing pressure buildup and lots of pain so I think he'll be more comfortable with it gone. Still, nothing like an eye removal to snap you out of your own cave of self-pity.

Other outings: doctor's office for stitch removal and prescriptions, GapKids to buy some school shirts for Hayden (disastrous outing: dizzy spells, hot flashes), lunch and pedicures with Shelley (yay!), family breakfast at LePeep (gooey buns, yum). Each and every trip has left me completely exhausted. I just have zero stamina, zero pep.

My pain control has been good since I left the hospital. I've only taken a few Tylenol here and there for headaches. I think after the nightmare of Fentanyl withdrawal in the hospital, I'm afraid to take anything stronger. So I mostly grin and bear it. I still hit the nausea meds pretty hard, but they've kept things manageable. I'm starting to wonder if the fatigue is as much hormonal as surgical. I'm sleeping better than I was initially, but still not great. So tonight I took my first hormone pill and we'll see if there's any improvement. I was hesitant to take something, but I'm almost 5 weeks out from my surgery and don't feel like I'm where I should be.

What's next? I meet with my medical oncologist next week to put together a plan for chemo. Typically, people would do 6 cycles pre-surgery and 6 cycles post-surgery. Due to scheduling issues with the surgery, I did 10 cycles beforehand. So I'll probably do less than 6, but I don't know exactly how many. It's normal to wait 6-8 weeks after surgery to give the body a chance to heal, so I've probably still got a few weeks to go. I'll keep you posted.

16 comments:

Mama T said...

thanks for the something. It helps us to know that you are improving, even if it's baby steps.
what have the experiences of recovery been like from the other people you've met who have had this surgery?

Sara said...

Keep healing! :)

linda said...

Hi there, I'm Linda of "Rob and Linda", Art's friends from college and beyond. It's been so good to keep up with you here knowing how concerned Art has been about you and your family. I have no knowledge about your medical situation but I'm somewhat of an expert on one eyed dogs! Our 4 lb yorkie lost an eye in a brawl with a collie last fall. He lost the eye on a Saturday and was doing very well by Monday, it was amazing! It's not as bad as it sounds, generally.

Keep up the great work!

Linda

Anonymous said...

Great to hear from you, Lisa Marie. We continue to pray for you. Let me know if you're up for a lunch date. Nicol and I can stop by and bring you whatever you want. Looking forward to seeing you again! -Lauren

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting. It was good to hear from you. Recovery is a slow process. You'll get there. I continue to pray for you and Sean and the kids.

Vito said...

Thanks for the update. We'll keep saying our prayers.

Anonymous said...

Lisa Marie, Although everyone anxiously awaits your updates, please don't feel pressured into doing so. Blog when YOU feel like blogging!
Love, Auntie Carol

Renée said...

Sorry, Auntie Carol, anyone who can go school shopping can update her blog! :)

LM, thank you for the post. You need to describe in more detail how good the pathology results really were.

For the rest of you, she was much more upbeat and looked great when I visited with her on Saturday. She must've been tired and feeling bad for the dog when she posted this. It's frustrating for her to sit still. But for as much trauma as she has been through, she really is doing fabulously (or she fakes it really well!).

Anonymous said...

Lisa Marie, it was good to "hear" from you again. I guess you've earned a couple weeks off after all you've been thru. I'm sure you are still soaking in the love and laughter, (and I'm sure the occasional cry!) of your children and making up for time lost in the Mommy arena. Heal well, feel well, you are in my prayers daily.

Anonymous said...

I know you don't need any more "medical" advise, but when I had brain surgery, the doctor in Houston told me to expect 1 month recovery for every hour you were in surgery. He was right. Take this quality time to enjoy life. Aunt JD

Stephanie said...

Thanks for the update. We've been thinking about you tons. I hope the recovery gets better each day. So sorry to hear about Malik. Hopefully he'll adjust quickly.

Anonymous said...

Hi Lisa Marie, I'm with Auntie Carol on this one. Do what's best for YOU. Just because you've mustered up enough energy to do something you love with your kids does not mean you have even the tiniest bit left to blog. Although we love hearing from you, how you feel comes before all else. I send my love and continue to hold you in my thoughts constantly. Auntie Suzy

Anonymous said...

Thanks Lisa Marie for your update, but I'm with so many others feeling you should only blog when you feel like it. Taking as much time for yourself as much as is possible now is the most important thing. You are going to need time to heal. Hope the hormone pills help, just don't expect too much of yourself right now. Your oncologist will tell you the same thing, I'm sure. You and yours are in are heart always now. All our love, Lyn and family.

Lyn said...

Hello again, we have been thinking of you so much in this difficult post-op period. Please don't feel pushed to blog. And here's wishing you more strength, courage, patience, love, than you could ever hope for. We all still have you in our hearts everyday. So many hugs to all of you. Lyn, Richard and family in Princeton

a Me said...

I am so glad to have a link to your blog and thrilled to read that you have so many people who love and support you! That rocks!

Chemo stinks, yea?

dorothy said...

9/12/2009
love seeing you on facebook - can keep up with you in a giant family chatroom - Sue is with Grandma this weekend working on a surprise for you. Thinking of all of you daily.
Love,
Aunt Dorothy